Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Which Would YOU Choose?



Which One Would YOU Choose?


I need your help! My next novel depends on it...


One of the things I do when I am constructing a character is to find a picture of a star or model that fits the "essence" of  the character. Rugged, debonair, blue collar, international playboy...a "look," if you will, to help me with my description. Its more helpful if they're in a movie or sitcom because I can observe gestures and what not to see if they'll fit with the kind of character I'm constructing.


The Heronie


I usually try to capture different pictures with various expressions to be true to face type...cleft chin, raised eyebrows, crooked smile. That sort of thing.  But I am TOTALLY STUCK!


You see, I'm writing a gothic romance. I have the "ethereal" look of the heroine picked out already.
<--------




It's the hero I'm having trouble with. I'm writing the kind of love story where the hero/antihero is sort of brooding. But I don't want him to be the typical, "dark and mysterious" type of look.  I decided that an almost angelic, blonde - pale type of look might be more interesting.


This is my problem. Unless I choose the tanned, beach-body blonde stars out there...which I do not want...then I can't really think of who to put on my cork board to stare at. For work purposes of course!


Some suggestions from friends are:


Paul Bettany
Pale, intelligent eyes, can do brooding.

Simon Baker
Performed excellent bad boy brooding in The Guardian and The Mentalist.


Jude Law


He is magnificent AND a total train wreck, bad decision-maker, all around great looking mess. That's just in his personal life.
I gotta say...I'm at a loss. The genre calls for "beautiful, but dangerous" which is kinda hard to pull off. 


Also a dark secret that tortures them at least until the heroine can "save" them from themselves.


I know...I KNOW! But its a genre that allows me to explore darker images and mysterious happenings and I'm really excited about it.  We all have a soft spot for the bad-boy.  I real life, you should run screaming. In the fantasy of a romance novel, only YOU can change them. They find redemption and happiness...with you.


So...I'm putting it to a vote. Help me choose who the brooding hero of my next novel will be. I have a poll button on my sidebar-------> 


Or...If you don't like any of them...leave me a suggestion in the comments. 


Can't wait to see what you all think!  Until next time...Go Write!
Photograph by Lucky Burrluck. Photograph by Bazylek.