Monday, August 15, 2011

Why I Need a Jeweled Dagger

Dance of the Setting Sun


I'm doing research on a new book. Having recently finished and sent off Whispers on Shadow Bay, the first book in my new Noble Island Mysteries series, I am giddy with excitement to begin learning something new.


That something new is for book two, Secrets at Crescent Point. It is a story that centers on the gypsy clan that inhabits the outskirts and surrounding waters of Noble Island. As an author, I create worlds for my characters and the reader with as much detail as possible and that is why I do a lot of research before I begin writing.


For instance, I've been researching the Romani gypsies. Things like clothing descriptions, particularly the dresses used in the veil dances and festivals. 


I learned that in the Romani gypsy culture, family name can hearken back to what the family's occupation used to be whether a silver smith, wood carver, performer, etc. I also hope to find some recipes to try.


My Baby
My husband isn't quite convinced I need a dagger to write this book, but he did not see the bound dagger fight...yes, as in bound by a rope or long piece of silk at the wrists to the guy that is trying to stab you.


I mean, pirates had daggers...gladiators, evil spy chicks, even the Mughals of India. Surely, I need one as well! For research, of course. Plus it would look VERY cool next to all the other bizarre detritus of my writing obsession.


What about you?  What do you most love about researching a new book?