Thursday, August 25, 2011

Smooth Sailing - Romantic Friday Writers



Today for the Romantic Friday Writers the theme is Smooth Sailing. This scene takes place on a boat, a very special one built as a wedding present from James to his fiancĂ©, Rain.  What follows is the aftermath of the tragedy that tore them apart...



     Moonlight glinted off the water and cast quivering blue reflection across the polished deck.  James leaned against the railing and let his gaze follow the slivers of moonlight dance across the surface.

He heard movement behind him and then his sister was next to him.  She leaned against his shoulder like she’d done since their dual birth.  She whispered next to him her voice as full of sorrow as his had been.

“What are you going to do?”

James shrugged.

“Nothing I can do, now.  Rain said, 'No.'  She sent me away. I think...I think she's slipped too far for me to...”

Grief and frustration burned in his chest and he blew his breath out slowly.  He rubbed the silver key in his hand. This couldn't be real, couldn't be happening.


His sister wiped her cheek and James realized she was crying, had been crying, also.  He hugged her with his left arm and they stood watching the waves lick at the hull.


Finally she asked, “Are you going to keep her, the boat?”

James closed his eyes and then nodded.

“What about Rain?” His sister’s voice broke. “I mean, this isn’t the end, is it?”

Hearing her name made the hollow in his chest ache and James grit his teeth.

“I can’t give up on her,” he said softly. “I know in my bones that we’re supposed to be together.”

His sister made a murmuring noise.

“Then we wait,” she said finally. “I mean, she’s the one, right?”

James swallowed against the lump in his throat.  His voice was hoarse when he answered.

“Yeah,” he said and rubbed the silver key again. “My one and only.”



I'm so happy I got to share a small portion of what is one of my favorite romances. If you'd like to check out the other entries in the Romantic Friday Writers challenge for this week, then hop on over. 


Or if you'd like to join, then enter your blog address in the linky on the RFW home page.

16 comments:

Kerrin said...

Not a very smooth sailing episode for poor James!
Nice imagery and very touching consolation between siblings :)

Roland D. Yeomans said...

More like brave sailing than smooth! My money's on James courage and heart, Roland

Anna said...

Lovely scene. Beautiful imagery. James is lucky to have a twin sister to comfort him. She seems to be the one who is providing 'Smooth Sailing' for him.
Best wishes,
Anna
Anna's RFW No.16 'Smooth Sailing'

Ruth Madison said...

I like the phrase "dual birth." The relationship between the siblings is beautiful.

Crystal said...

Just a gorgeously sad scene! I love the imagery and the relationship between the two siblings - clearly they're tight!! :-)

DEZMOND said...

love the name Rain for a character!

Laura Marcella said...

Wonderful imagery and very strong emotions. Have a great weekend, Raquel!

Madeleine said...

A rough time sailing for James.I like the way he is devoted and patient despite the fact that the odds seem stacked against him.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I can't wait to go and visit all of your blogs today. Have a wonderful weekend!

Marsha A. Moore said...

I felt his heartache so clearly from your vivid description. The still, almost lonely setting nicely reflected his emotions.

Sarah Pearson said...

Aww, poor James. Rain better have a good reason, is all I can say!

L'Aussie said...

Hi Raquel. You turned the Smooth Sailing theme on its head. Captivating writing. I agree with Marsha about the setting reflecting his emotions.

Denise

Daydreamertoo said...

Very descriptive imagery. I loved his emotions.
Very sad to lose the one you love no matter how you lose them.
A very nice read, thank you.

li said...

"Waves lick at the hull" - nice phrasing. Also love the name Rain.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for using the time and effort to write something so interesting.

My site:
comparatif rachat credit www.rachatdecredit.net

Ms. Queenly said...

This is such a mysterious scene. I'd love to know what's afoot here. Beautifully conveyed.