Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Google+ For Writers...What You Should Know


So much buzz is going on about Google + these days that I thought I'd pass along some interesting articles I've come across. 

There are a lot of really cool ways to tweak your profile and one of these is a Google+ ID shortener.

I love to add new ways to connect with other writers and readers so I was excited to see this cool widget maker to customize one for my blog's sidebar.

So far, the most helpful information has come out of Galley Cat. Its a post on Promotional Tools for Writers. They have a list of writers currently using Google+ as well as some tips to help you optimize your profile. There is even a section on how to organize a book party.

If you're looking for ways to "tag" people like the @ on Twitter or like to add hot keys, then this article on Google+ Tips and Tricks is just up your alley.

I for one am excited about the hangouts. I think it would be fun to have virtual critique group meeting.  That would be both useful and fun!

You need an invite to join, but they are plentiful. Anyone who has a Google+ account, can send out invites. I got mine off a Twitter buddy.

So whether or not you're excited to try it or you think its another time-suck...at least you have the lowdown on how to use Google+ correctly. For those of you interested in more information, the Google+ Blog is brimming with videos and tutorials.

Until next time...Go Write!

18 comments:

Damyanti said...

Wow, thanks for the tips! I recently got a google+ account but have been feeling a bit lost. Your post would help change that!

Sue R (Lauracea) said...

Very useful - thank you Raquel. And I see your widget, so I'm off to copy. There are still many cynical people out there about Google + but, for me, it combines Twitter and FB without that idiotic "friends and likes" business on FB. Now you can add people to whichever circle you want (and they don't know which one you add them to). Off to add you to a circle and get the widget!

Ann said...

I was just inquiring about Google+ from a bloggie friend a comment or two ago. Thank you for the links. I will check them out.

Creepy Query Girl said...

I joined but like the other social networks like twitter and goodreads- I'm not sure yet how much time I can consecrate.

Elena Solodow said...

This is great, Raquel. Thanks for sharing!

David Powers King said...

So that's what those things are? I've been seeing things like that when browsing links lately. Good to know!

I gave you a shout-out on my blog today. :)

Donna K. Weaver said...

I've been invited to join google+ and have, but I have no idea what to do with it now. =D

Rebecca Bany said...

Great info. Thanks.
I haven't been invited yet.
www.rebeccabany.com

Lynda R Young said...

Thanks for the great links. I've joined but my time on it is minimal at the moment. To be honest I didn't think it would be too successful because its so like Facebook. It seems to be picking up steam though.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I haven't joined it yet, but I'll bookmark this page for when that happens.

Kelley said...

Thanks for this. I got the invite, signed up, but now its just kinda sitting there.

This is 'starred' so that I can come back and reference it.

You've made a follower out of me :)

J.L. Campbell said...

I've been holding off on it, but I've been added by a few people, so...I've taken the plunge.

Peggy Eddleman said...

Google+ sounds so awesome. It's just that I only joined twitter four days ago! Okay, maybe I'm a bit behind....

L. Diane Wolfe said...

Helpful tips. I joined recently but haven't done much with it.

Stacy Coles said...

Very good advice! Thanks for posting.

Gina Blechman said...

Wow, I had no idea. I've seen it mentioned on fb lately, but I didn't realize it had all this fun shtuff! Thanks!

<3 Gina Blechman

Amish Stories said...

Greetings from the Amish community of Lebanon,Pa. Richard from Amish Stories.

Jamie (Mithril Wisdom) said...

Thanks for the tips :) I'm slowly getting into Google+, but I think it might be the way forward for bloggers to interact in a non formal way.