Monday, August 29, 2011

Controlled Chaos - 6 kids...Easy Squeazy!

Awesome Hubby and our six...yes, SIX kids.
As a homeschool mom of six, my day starts off pretty mellow. The kids wake up at their own times, eat and start on their work.  It’s not until the mid-morning hour when all of them are bustling around that the fun really begins.  I sit at my laptop in the classroom and try to do research for my book while simultaneously mixing icing ‘glue’ for our Great Wall of China replica made out of sugar cubes.

Once I have that going, I get the crock pot going with tonight’s meal. Usually some hearty chicken stew…it’s easy and yummy.  Meanwhile the babies have started to feed the water turtle their playdoh, so I fish that out with the pen I was using to jot down some personality quirk ideas for a character in my new work in progress.

I get the babies busy on some coloring, give my high schooler a lecture on Skyping while doing math, and settle down to check my email and Twitter...for two minutes. Because my Jr. Higher needs me to help him look up the average rainfall for Papua New Guinea for his report.  I print out his information, pop on over to my blog, read and answer comments, and start on a new post, but…

I answer a call from my mother who wonders why I never bring her grandkids over anymore (we were there last week) and I flip through the calendar and find a time between my critique group meeting and date night with hubby. I write myself a note on the paper with my character quirks and put it on the fridge as a reminder.
School time over, I put the babies to their nap and sit down to read the last chapter I wrote so I can get ‘in the groove’ of writing. 

Until my third grader reminds me that we are supposed to be planting the potato he’s been growing with toothpicks and a glass…my GOOD crystal? Oh well we get it into the ground and I wash off, pop the bread in the oven and sit down to type…something. Where was I again?

Hubby comes home, dinner and homework are tackled, we put the kids down and I have some coffee on the couch with my sweetheart.  He goes off to grade papers and I settle down at my laptop. Nine-thirty and ready to write.  Now if I could only find my notes on character quirks…

(Post originally appeared on Purple Knot blog tour.)

14 comments:

Eric W. Trant said...

Chaos in a bottle, for sure! So much for thinking your favorite writer sits in front of a quiet window all day ponderizing their story in-between a few stray taps on their old typewriter, eh.

- Eric

Shakespeare said...

I don't know how you manage it! Wow!

By 9:30, I'd be toast, ready to crawl into bed, not to write!

More power to you. And admiration, and respect, and awe.

Melissa said...

All this time (since April A to Z) I had no idea you were a homeschooling mom! We are starting our 6th year of homeschooling today, but with only one (and a independent working teenager at that), my days are normally a little less frazzled than yours sound :) Have a great school year...and may you be inspired & blessed with lots of great writing!

Crystal said...

Wow. Just wow. You are soooo brave to be homeschooling six children! While being a writer!

Also? You have a lovely family. :-)

salarsenッ said...

You are a champ!! Beautiful family....

Susanna Leonard Hill said...

And I thought I was busy :) !!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I don't think I'd survive your day.

Angie Cothran said...

That made me tired just reading that. Homeschooling Moms amaze me :)

Raquel Byrnes said...

Eric - LOL! Chaos in a bottle. I like that! I read about the book with your kids. You're such a great papa!

Shakespeare - Awww...thanks so much! Good thing I'm a night owl.

Melissa - A fellow homeschool mom, cool! We are in our 11th year. My oldest is a sophmore and my youngest just started preschool. Yikes!

Crystal - You'd be amazed how much I get done BECAUSE of homeschooling. I am always at my laptop.

Salarsen - Thank you, we'be been blessed.

Susanna - Hee hee...its fun busy though.

Alex - Sometimes I wonder about myself too. :)

Angie - You're so funny! Thanks so much for stopping by.

Sarah Pearson said...

What a beautiful family. I suspect with the experience of homeschooling six children under your belt, there is nothing you can't achieve!

Heather said...

Trying to find time to write, participate in the Campaign, and get everything else done is universal - we moms are superwomen.

Hope you find your notes...did you check the microwave? I found mine there last week! :)

raelynbarclay said...

Oh my, I'm exhausted just reading that!

Kudos.

allie said...

Hello and wow! from a fellow campaigner. How you can concentrate with six kids and all those interruptions, I don't know. :)

DEZMOND said...

but the point is - you have a very very cute and lovely family :)