Monday, March 28, 2011

Unshakable? I Think Not.



On March 23rd, @ (Donald Maass) Tweeted the Following:


Who in your story has an ironclad, unshakable belief? Shatter or reverse it by the story’s end. 

That got me thinking about my WIP. What is driving my character's behavior and decisions. Do they change throughout the course of the 
story arc?  Is it important if they change in such a fundamental way?

Apparently it is...

Now, I am a huge fan of Maass's book, Writing the Breakout Novel. I've learned so much from his insight. He once had a story prompt. What is the worst thing that could happen to your character? What would make their world crumble around their ears...now write that scene. 

Whew!  I had to really think. What would do that?  Do you know off hand how to completely level your main chareacter...and could you do it?

This weekend I challenge you to take a look at what you're writing. Is there a deep change to your character's way of thinking...their view of themselves or their world?

Until next time...Go Write!