Sunday, March 6, 2011

Is Your Media Kit Complete?


Whether its guest posting or being featured as an author with a new release on a book blog, the one thing you need to have on hand after a stellar novel is a Media Kit.  There are a few things that are must to have on hand. You never know when someone has a slot open up and if you're prepared, you might just snag that opportunity. Here are some things to have ready to go...

  • A .jpeg of your book cover. Usually your publisher will send you a few different kinds. High resolution for print and some lower ones for thumbnails and online sites.
  • An up to date photograph. Preferably a professionally done headshot.
  • 2 versions of your author bio. One short one, a little more than a few lines, to go at the bottom of posts. Make sure that it has links to your blog and book site. You'll also need a more extended one-page version for things like newsletters and for interviewers to create questions.
  • Sample interview. Have a list of questions that you've answered. Sometimes the host blog will just go with it or use it to create their own questions for you. It helps to show if you're quirky or funny or profound...your voice.
  • A stellar excerpt. Something that grabs the reader and makes them want more. Most people use the scene where the hero and heroine meet. Others user the precipitating event. Don't give a way too much. Its usually only 200-300 words.
  • A short synopsis of your book. Mason Canyon over at Thoughts In Progress suggested this in the comments and I had to add it. She's right. Sometimes space is limited so a great blurb about your book is handy promotion tool.

Those are just the bare bones. Create a folder on your desktop and have all of these things at the ready. If you get a call for something, you have it all organized already. This way you don't accidentally forget to include your bio with links or something vital like that.

Some other things to consider adding to your Media Kit are:

  • Book trailer. Some bloggers will post a link to it if its on YouTube or just embed it in the post about you.
  • A book list. If you've written more than one book you should have this information available. Include cover art and links.
  • Your upcoming events. Are you on a blog tour or having a launch party? Include that information.
  • Where to Buy. Finally, if your book is out already, have the purchase information available for posting.

Believe me when I say that having this all done is a real life-saver. I learned the hard way on this one. I was offered an opportunity to guest post but it had to be emailed within the hour. I didn't remember to put a little mention about my upcoming release.  I'd lost out on an opportunity...don't make the same mistake.

Take some time to get this together and then...RELAX.  Get back to what you should be doing -- WRITING!

37 comments:

Trisha said...

Great advice! I hope someday I will need it, i.e. ahead of publication :D

Roland D. Yeomans said...

I was kinda hoping I could get Olivia Wilde to hype my book. But then I woke up. Sigh. Reality. Rats. This was a great post, Roland

Laura Marcella said...

Terrific post! I'm tweeting this!

Mason Canyon said...

Great post, Raquel. From the viewpoint of a blogger who hosts authors and from a journalist's view point, one thing I would recommend adding - a short synopsis of your book. The stellar excerpt is a wonderful idea, but sometimes space is limited and synopsis could be used instead. You have all the things definitely needed in a media kit.

Mason
Thoughts in Progress

Jess said...

Wow, this is great! I'm bookmarking it on the off chance that I ever get published and need a media kit :)

Ann Best said...

This is absolutely a perfect list that I'm printing out. My publisher has recently said I should be thinking about a blog tour, but I don't have my book cover yet to post, so... But as you say here, it's best to be prepared ahead of time. Now, thanks to you, I'm going to get my "ducks" lined up. Thanks for such a helpful post, Raquel!!

Nahno McLein said...

That's really good advice. I think I wouldn't have done that without someone pointing out the obvious.

Thanks also for following and announcing my blogfest on your sidebar. Thanks a lot.
Nahno ∗ McLein

Raquel Byrnes said...

Trisha - Glad I could help. =)

Roland - You're such a hoot!

Laura - Thanks for the RT I saw it!

Mason - I totally adding this right now to the post. Thank you.

Jess - You'll need it...just wait. =)

Ann - You're welcome, Ann. Good luck.

Nahno - My pleasure.

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

I have all the basics ready and I have a book trailer on my to do list.

DEZMOND said...

I work in the publishing industry and often write synopsis for book cover, and trust me, that's probably the most important part when it comes to the sale of your book. If you have a bad blurb nobody will buy your book, but if you have a great and attractive synopsis your book will sell greatly even if the book is bad itself. I often change blurbs before publishing books in my country and when we do that and make a better blurb, we always have better sales.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have all of that except the excerpt. No one's asked yet, although I could pick a scene if asked. (Just not for a blogger - that would mean the post is already too long.)

L'Aussie said...

Hi Raquel, I only wish I was ready to need all that. I'll know where to come when I stop blogging and finish my WIPs...

Denise<3

Nas Dean said...

Great post! I always host authors and they ask me what can they talk about! So I'm printing this page.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Susan - Ooh book trailers are so fun.

Dezmond - Great advice. Fine tune the synopsis....got it!

Alex - Way to go, Alex. You're always so on top of it.

L'Aussie - Hee hee...I know what you mean. Got to have the blogging/writing balance.

Nas Dean - Cool! Hope it helps!

Anne K. Albert said...

Super advice, thanks, Raquel!

Jessica Bell said...

Very good idea! Hmm ... I should do this!

Katie Mills said...

thanks for the reminder and break down of what we should have ready! I hope I'll need it someday (soon)lol.

Travis Erwin said...

Thanks for making me think more about this. I'm not there yet but hope to bee one day.

Suzanne said...

That's a great summary, and a good kick in the pants to anyone who hasn't done one. This can be modified for any business. I'm an artist and need to do one to be ready for any opportunity. Thanks for the tips.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Anne - You betcha!

Jessica - You totally should. Especially published authors like you. Congrats, by the way.

Katie - You WILL need it some day.

Travis - Always helps to be prepared.

Suzanne - Oh, an artist! How awesome! And yes...modify away.

Alison Stevens said...

What a great resource, Raquel! I posted a link on my blog today. :)

Happily Cheesy said...

Very nice. Succinct. I think this spills over to other formats in the artistic world, like in my instance, musical theater. The better prepared you are, the better.

Great post! Thanks.

E.C. Smith said...

Wow! Such fantastic advice. Thank you! I will be squirreling all this information away for future use.

J.L. Campbell said...

Very useful information. I have some of this stuff posted on my website, but not all together in a folder like you suggested. I should get going on that.

Talli Roland said...

That's a fantastic list of things to include, Raquel. Thank you!

Christine Tyler said...

This is a very unique and useful post. Wowzers! I love it! I'll have to reference this for myself...

LM Preston said...

Wonderful post!! I remember when I put my first one together it was hard to find this valuable information anywhere.

Erin Kane Spock said...

This was great info, Raquel. You are always such a great resource.

Raquel Byrnes said...

So glad everyone got so much out of the post. I hope you all have reason to use it soon! =)

Shannon said...

So many good points. Hmm, do you (or anyone else) have a blog post about putting together a book trailer? I've always wondered about how a person does one of those.

Raquel Byrnes said...

Shannon - I was actually going to do one on that subject. You'll have to check back.

Jeigh said...

This is great info! Thanks for sharing!

Hart Johnson said...

Oh, great list! This post is going in that helpful posts file, as I think these are important things to have together.

Michael Offutt said...

Awesome post Raquel. Prior to this, I had no idea that we'd even be expected to have a media kit. Oh I'm so naive /sigh.

Elena Solodow said...

This is all great information to know. Thanks, Raquel!

kk said...

EPK allows you to tell your story to the right audience, while creating AWARENESS, building an INSTANT BUZZ and getting EXPOSURE [more exposure – sales] through the search engines, media outlet’s and social media.so keep in touch with EPK................

kk said...

I used epk press kit website for press release distribution for a few of my independent events that I was promoting, and received some good feedback.  I like epk press kit that they also help you get the word too.