Thursday, February 15, 2018

Red Sky Over America


Today I welcome author, Tamera Lynn Kraft as she celebrates the release of her novel, Red Sky Over America. I asked her to let us in on her thought and writing process.

A little about her...

Tamera  has always loved adventures. She loves to write historical fiction set in the United States because there are so many stories in American history. There are strong elements of faith, romance, suspense and adventure in her stories. She has received 2nd place in the NOCW contest, 3rd place TARA writer’s contest, and is a finalist in the Frasier Writing Contest and has other novels and novellas in print. She’s been married for 39 years to the love of her life, Rick, and has two married adult children and three grandchildren. 


 Do you hide any secrets in your books that only a few people will find?

Yes, I do, but do you really want me to tell what they are? LOL. I'll give you a bit of a hint. First, I like to use symbolism in my novels (colors, objects, weather) that is hopefully not too obvious, but still adds richness to the stories. I also have something similar about every villain's name in my stories, but I'm not going to tell you what that is. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to find out what it is though. You probably will never guess.

What is the first book that made you cry?

That's a difficult question because there have been so many books that have touched me emotionally. I've always loved to read, so I can't say for certain. The first book I remember shedding a tear while listening to my Grandma read it to me was Black Beauty. I think I was about seven or eight then. I hated the way the drunk abused such a wonderful horse.

Do you think someone could be a writer if they don’t feel emotions strongly?

I'm not sure. I do think a writer needs to be aware of her deep and strong emotions and motivation in life to be able to write effectively, but I don't feel a writer has to be an emotional wreck about it. I think we all have strong emotions. A writer has the perfect way of dealing with those emotions. I might not show my emotions to everyone, but they always end up coming out in my characters.


 How did publishing your first book change your process of writing?

Everything is on a deadline now. I can't spend a couple of years playing with my story to try to figure it out. I have nine months to get it done before my next deadline. This has changed me from a total seat of the panster to someone who does some pre-planning and plotting of the main signposts of my story. I still don't plan every detail, but I do have a direction to go before I start writing.

About the Book:

William and America confront evil, but will it costs them everything?
In 1857, America, the daughter of a slave owner, is an abolitionist and a student at Oberlin College, a school known for its radical ideas. America goes home to Kentucky during school break to confront her father about freeing his slaves.

America's classmate, William, goes to Kentucky to preach abolition to churches that condone slavery. America and William find themselves in the center of the approaching storm sweeping the nation and may not make it home to Ohio or live through the struggle.

Red Sky Over America tackles the most turbulent time in history with thorough research and fascinating characters. Tamera Lynn Kraft has woven a tale about the evils of slavery that should never be forgotten. -- Mary Ellis, author of The Quaker and the Rebel, The Lady and the Officer, and The Last Heiress.


You can find Tamera at her author blog, or on Twitter and Goodreads.