Wednesday, July 21, 2010

My Pocket Protector is Showing...

So here's the thing...I'm really a geek at heart. I have t-shirts with code on them, lusted for a binary watch, and know that when certain people talk about python..they aren't refering to the snake.  So I absolutely could not pass up a chance to monkey about with some fun new techie stuff.

QR-Codes are the weird square thingies you're starting to see around the internet. They can be scanned by an iPhone, a Droid, or any other smart phone with a barcode reader.  This one I generated on a website.  If you use your phone to scan it...you get the address to my book website, http://www.raquelbyrnes.com/.  Snazzy, right?

You can imbed them with text, a url (website), a text message...they're very fun to play with.  They are often called 2-Dimensional codes because, unlike a barcode, they carry information both horizontally and vertically. Displaying information in both ways allows the QR-Code to hold several hundred times the information carried by traditional barcodes.

I've seen them on billboards, in magazine ads, on social networking sites...you name it, the technology is cropping up everywhere.  Take a look at the photos of all the 2d codes collected on this Ning site. They are a heck of a cool addition to a business card, especially if you actually work in the tech field.

With authors needing to have a web presence and queries having web addresses now...I wonder what is next?  Let me know what you think about all the technology...brave new world or temporary kerfluffle?  Until next time...Go Write!