Monday, February 14, 2011

Just Kiss Already! - A Blogfest


Today is the best blogfest EVER! You get to post the scene where your main characters finally, FINALLY, kiss. It is the genius idea of Christina Lee over at Write Brained.
This excerpt is from Bayou Blue, the third book in my Shades of Hope Series coming out this year from White Rose Publishing.  
A romantic suspense, Riley and Jake,  have been trying to find out what happened to Riley's brother after a terrible accident rocks a small Louisiana parish. As the sheriff, Jake is caught between love and loyalty to the people of his parish as he begins to both suspect and fall for Riley. 
This scene takes place after a sudden downpour breaks up the harvest festival and their dance together...




We walked down the hall, past meeting rooms and offices, to a small room with white wicker couches lining the walls. A waiting room of some sort.
Jake grabbed a towel off a stack near a tray with water bottles and a bowl of mints. He wrapped it around my shoulders, pulling it together at my neck. I slipped my hands over his, looking at him, my mind going a million miles a minute.
What had he meant to say to me on the dance floor? Had he changed his mind? Did he not want me to go? I pushed the spark of hope down deep. I couldn’t handle another rip at my heart.
Static from his radio punctuated the silence, back and forth comments from the deputies echoing in the small room.
“I should get out there; make sure everyone gets home safe.” He didn’t move, kept his grip on the towel. “They need me.”
“Yeah,” I breathed, unable to think with him this close.
His eyes flit over my mouth and back to my eyes and I felt him tug on the towel gently, drawing me nearer. I went with him, letting myself go off balance, leaning into his space.
“This is a bad idea, Riley,” he whispered. “You shouldn’t stay.”
His lips brushed my eyelids, the tip of my nose, and sent a tremor of want ripping over me. Tilting his head lower, he ran the bridge of his nose against my cheek, back and forth like he was telling himself, ‘No’…to stop.
My heart fluttered with his touch. I didn’t want to leave. I didn’t want to leave him.
I let go of his hands, spiked my fingers through his hair, pulling him to me.
A low growl sounded in his throat and then he clutched me to his body, his lips finding mine with a heat so intense I gasped in a ragged breath. He ran his hand down my back, grabbed my blouse in his fisted fingers, crushing me to him. A soft moan escaped my lips, the feel of him making my head spin.
And then he was pulling away, whispering that he was sorry, and pulling my arms from around his neck. Confused, I could barely catch my breath.
“What’s wrong?”
He put his forehead to mine, his eyes squeezed shut, struggling for breath. “I shouldn’t have done that, Riley.”





Thats all of Jake and Riley for now...Please take a moment to check out the other amazing entries into the blogfest at Christina Lee's Write Brained Blog.

41 comments:

Charli Mac said...

...He put his forehead to mine, his eyes squeezed shut, struggling for breath. “I shouldn’t have done that, Riley.”

Umm, I'd like some more please! Great tension, I could feel it build and it lingers after. Bravo!

Lois D. Brown said...

Hi,
Loved the scene. I've been going to several different people's blogs I found on Rach Writes, and many of them are doing the first kiss. It has been a great Valentines day.

Anyhow, good to meet another blogosphere friend. My blot is at www.idevourkidbooks.blogspot.com I'd love another follower.

Gabriela Lessa said...

Great scene! It really draws the reader in.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

Sigh. Isn't that always the way? Something always seems to find a way to spoil the first kiss and stifle the moment. Great job, Roland

Len Lambert said...

Hi there! Thanks for dropping by my blog! I'm now following :)

Donna Weaver said...

Those dang forbidden kisses.

Nicely done.

Dawn Embers said...

Nicely written entry. I do like how the moment is its own little spot, with the before and after having different emotions show. Having him pull back makes the reader want to follow the story more.

Melissa said...

So much excellent tension! You did such a great job with this!

Tessa Conte said...

Great stuff!! Definitiv romantic suspense you've got there, my dear!

And ....

HIP HIP HOORAY on you being published!!!! CONGRATS!!!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I love this bit:
he ran the bridge of his nose against my cheek, back and forth like he was telling himself, ‘No’…to stop.

Excellent job teasing us, bringing us to the kiss and then having him pull away! It certainly keeps the reader coming back for more!

Will Burke said...

I'm not well versed in this kind of writing, but you seem to have quite the build up, and great narration for someone who's barely aware of her surroundings.

Regina said...

This is such great tension between you characters. You let the readers feel what they feel and it is great. I am a fellow crusader and look forward to reading more of your work. This is a fabulous scene. Best wishes.

Rachel Morgan said...

So many of these scenes have interrupted kisses/kisses cut short - love all the suspense and tension!

Her highness, Samantha Vérant said...

yes, yes! He should have done that. And he should do it some more – the tease! Love the name Riley! By the way, I'm a crusader too. ***waves*** Dare to Follow Your Heart

Elaine AM Smith said...

I loved the scene: tension and a fizzingly hot kiss.

Lindz said...

I enjoy that this scene has conflict to it. Definitely makes the kiss that more interesting, although the kiss itself seemed pretty steamy. Well done!

Andrea Franco-Cook said...

Wonderful scene. Really pulls the reader in. Lots of tension. Great job.

Tanya Reimer said...

Wow. Can't write. Overdosed. Good stuff. Give me more.

Seriously, loved it. Thanks for the rush. Welcome to the crusade.

Stephanie Faris said...

What a great exercise!!! I think this kiss was awesome. That's one thing I miss about writing books for adults. You can only do so much with a young adult or middle grade kiss...

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Nothing like a guy to apologize for kissing you. :)

E.C. Smith said...

A great sexual tension in that scene, Racquel!

I'm a fellow crusader and wanted to pop by and let you know that you've been given the Stylish Bloggers Award.

Check out my blog ecsmithramblings.blogspot.com/ for all the details.

Looking forward to getting to know you during the crusade!

Roza M said...

Wow this was good! Great tension and flow I want more

Jennifer Hoffine said...

Love the nose/cheek thing. Great tension here.

Patti said...

Great scene, the last line especially draws the reader in.

Donea Lee said...

I love a kiss the mcs think is wrong, but it just feels so right! Great stuff ~ thanks for sharing! :)

Talei said...

I love this scene, well written and I could feel his kisses on my lashes too. FAB ;-)

Christina Lee said...

WHAT?!?!? Of course he should have done that- hot DAMN!

Wendy Sparrow said...

I wanted to yell, "Yes, you should have done that!!!" *sighs* I'm so deeply squishy and girly. That was good!

Jess said...

What a great scene! Thanks for stopping by my blog~ I'm following you now too :) (PS-I love your blog background!)

Lola Sharp said...

Awwww. I love a love/kissing scene. :)

Thanks for stopping by!

Hugs,
Lola

salarsenッ said...

Ooh, that was really good! The feeling of 'the forbidden' or 'the shouldn't' is such a turn on. Wow. Loved it!

Alicia Gregoire said...

When I read this earlier, I totally missed the fact that Jake is beginning to suspect her. That makes this that much better!

Erica said...

Why is it that "growl" and "ragged" (of all the random words!) are so damn SEXY?! You'd think something a little smoother, something that rolls off the tongue... nope. Those two words always get us going lol. Maybe because they're rough around the edges..? hmmmm... awesome entry!

Adina West said...

Hi from a fellow Crusader.

Loved your reluctant kiss. Great build-up!

And I'm in awe of the fact that you have six kids AND you write.

Lynda Young said...

oh steamy! Nice :)

Charlotte Rains Dixon said...

Great scene. Dropping by as a fellow Crusader to say hi and thanks for visiting my site.

Charlotte Rains Dixon said...

Great scene. Dropping by as a fellow Crusader to say hi and thanks for visiting my site.

lbdiamond said...

Oooh, such tension!!!

kangaroobee said...

This is awesome, can't wait to hear more!

Alexa said...

oh my I loved that! Great build up and great kiss. I'm swooning for Jake here :)

Eric W. Trant said...

My son always cringes during those scenes and I make fun of him.

See, you're evil, Raquel, making little boys cringe like that!

Evil evil evil...

;)

This was too easy for you, wasn't it. I'm surprised it didn't involve gunshots or a burning room or something. Did I miss the shooting?

(rereading...)

Ah, I see it, now. Deputies. Towel. Something bad just happened.

That's more like it. If only there was a corpse nearby...


- Eric