Friday, February 11, 2011

Business Cards or Book Marks...Postcards?


Did you know that there are chocolate business cards?  I did not know this. Apparently you can get your name carved on almost anything.


I'm currently reading a lot about book marketing. One of the things that keeps coming up is the book promotion paraphernalia.  I'm talking about bookmarks, postcards, business cards...things you can give to bookstores as bag stuffers or hand out at libraries.


There seems to be a lot of  talk in the blog-o-sphere about what is old news and what is hot in terms of marketing tools right now.


For instance, there is the business card.  It can come in all sorts of forms from weird origami contraptions to thin sticky notes. The possibilities are endless...just look at one of the sites I found.  Pretty, yes, but are they effective?   I have no idea.  


Then there is the postcard.  A bigger space for your book cover and blurb...but I'm worried people will just toss these.  And they're more expensive than business cards, yet are ideal for mailing to prospective bookstores.  So there's that.


Bookmarks are the tried and true go-to marketing tool for writers. I used to work in a bookstore and we were constantly stuffing bags with bookmarks of the latest release. They're useful and practical. People do use them for their own books and they're inexpensive.


My question is which is more effective?  Have you bought a book based on a postcard or a bookmark?  Let me know what you think.


Until next time...Go Write!
Photograph by Googlisti.

19 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

I've actually never bought a book based on anything but the blurb. I actually toss book marks too. I don't like them. I use post-it notes to mark where I am in a book because bookmarks always fall out. LOL. Sorry, not being much help! :o/

Jamie (Mithril Wisdom) said...

Bookmarks are by far the most effective marketing tool for me. Even if I'm not consciously aware of it, I'm seeing the new release whenever I pick up my book to read, so there's some degree of influence on me. Bookmarks would be the way to go.

Margo Benson said...

Bookmarks work for me too. Even with good intentions I almost never keep business cards and postcards just go in recycling.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I think a bookmark is most effective, because people actually use those.

Hart Johnson said...

Elizabeth Spann Craig has done a couple posts on all this--I think they have different audiences. This is what I've taken away (please keep in mind my faulty memory):

Postcards are for LIBRARIES (please stock my book)

Business cards are for conferences and the like

And Bookmarks are for the bookstores and libraries to try to reach actual readers

(and as a reader, the bookmark would indeed be used)--the business card would only be kept if I'd met someone personally and really wanted to reconnect.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I love getting free bookmarks. I use them, I share them with my students and my kids...they're awesome! :-)

Anonymous said...

you raise a tempting question.
of course I'd eat the chocolate anything...
and ask who sent it 20 minutes later....
the bookmarks with great suggestions are my bookmark of choice....
but what sells a book is it 2 covers and what is
says is going to grab me.
Maybe a lick able cover would drive me crazy?

Janet Johnson said...

I've never bought a book based on any of that stuff. To be honest, I usually throw them away unless I really am desperate for something to mark my place.

Though I love the idea of a chocolate business card!

Best of luck with marketing. :)

DEZMOND said...

ah, if they're making this in white chocolate, please send me a thousand pieces, thanks very much :)

Lydia K said...

The chocolate sounds like fun but what if you forget the name of the book after you eat it?

I'd be all for the bookmark.

Raquel Byrnes said...

LOL! The chocolate business card has a regular one underneath. And I never considered them...just thought it was strange.

Hart - Thanks for the clarification. I was totally confused. Which is for what...makes more sense now. =)

Donna Weaver said...

The marketing aspect of publication scares me to death. I've never been much into sales. I sometimes think it's enough to keep me from querying.

Ollin Morales said...

Mmmm... Chocolate business cards.

I'm very picky with what I read. It needs critical acclaim, widespread appeal, and my friends need to recommend it. I am a busy man, and I want to make sure I get to read all the great books out there.

Angela Scott said...

Chocolate business cards--I say Yes! Yes, I would love one :)

The down side is that I will eat it and no longer have the necessary info I need :)

Nice to meet you crusader.

Madeleine said...

'with a heat so intense I gasped in a ragged breath'. I'll say! Nice one! :O)

Alkyoni said...

Wow, that's one nice scene!
And thanks very much for your comment! :)

projectfraeya said...

Love bookmarks, use them (and loose them) all the time but have looked up books because of them.
Waving hello to a fellow Crusader :)

Zan Marie said...

Oooh! Raquel, I like...a lot. ; ) I'm paying a return visit from my blog In the Shade of the Cherry Tree. See you around the Crusade.

Elizabeth Mueller said...

Hi Raquel! Great post! I love pens. Imagine pens with your name and book title there? Or stress balls? What about lotion bottles?

I like what Hart Johnson said! :)

♥.•*¨ Elizabeth ¨*•.♥