Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Do You Like Unexpected Visits?

NOT Salem
I recently completed my novel Bayou Blue and after revisions and sweat and tears...sent it off to my agent. I was having breakfast with a friend of mine who just read it and she was excited that a character from my first novel, Purple Knot, showed up in a few chapters of Bayou Blue.  I mean...really excited about it. So much so that she wanted to know if he would be the lead in the next novel.


I was kind of shocked. The character she referred to, Salem Pratt, was not the main character of the first novel. He was a peripheral, side-kick kind of guy. Now, of course, I find him interesting. I find him funny and magnetic and I'm fascinated by his past...but that's me.  I had no idea she would be so delighted.


Salem shows up in Bayou Blue and a little more of his hidden past and a surprising secret is revealed to the main character of that novel, who happens to be a friend.  None of this is ever mentioned in the novel to which he belongs...he's sort of popping into Riley's world for a visit.


Now I'm thinking, though...hmmm. Should I consider making him a main character in his own novel? It would be a departure...but might be fun.


My question to you is this:


Do you get a jolt of happy when a character from another novel shows up in what you're reading?  Would you ever do "spin offs" with characters...as in, give them their own entire book?


I'll be off plotting Salem's possible future. Until next time...Go Write!
Photograph by Kelli Taylor.