Monday, June 28, 2010

A Word About Blogfests...

I was never a joiner. I used to be the kid on the bleachers with my nose in a book during flag football.  It goes against my grain as a writer to share unfinished work. That being said...I think Blogfests are a great resource for writers.

First of all, it gets the creative juices flowing. Meeting someone else's criteria and word count are part and parcel with a writing career so getting used to the idea is helpful.  I've meet a lot of writers I would not have otherwise come in contact with through blogfests....some as far as Greece, some as near as the next city...all of them push me to be a better writer.

It's fun. I've been told that great writers read voraciously, both inside and outside of their genre. The blogfests I've entered have hosted YA, horror, science fiction, and a host of subgenres I'm just learning about.  Reading the work of other authors and getting feedback on my own is helpful and encouraging.

So take a peek at some of the Blogfests listed in the sidebar to your right.  --->

I don't enter all of them, just the ones that are a fit for what I'm doing at the moment.  You might make some interesting network buddies, or maybe even learn a thing or two.

I hope to see you in the ether...can't wait to read what you've got. Until next time...Go write!

Photograph by MrTopf.

7 comments:

Zoe C. Courtman said...

Hey, Raquel! I think blogfests can be a great thing, too. (Especially for networking!!) I just don't have the time to put into them; if I have a burst of writing inspiration, I have to direct it toward my MS :D Can't wait to read your blogfest entries!

Tricia J. O'Brien said...

I "met" you through a blogfest and enjoy your blog and writing. In fact, I have met a number of writers through fests. It's impossible to enter them all, but I always have fun when I do.

Erin Kane Spock said...

You know I copy your blogfest information and use it on my blog, right? Okay, just so you know.
Thanks for opening up this resource to me. :)

Olivia Herrell said...

Hey, Erin, we can do that? Hey Raquel, can I copy and post it, too?? I haven't set it up because of all those linky thingys. :)

I had mixed feelings about blogfests in the beginning because it was major to share my unfinished wip with people. I've only participated in a few so far but, you're right on. I've had so much fun, met many awesome writers (like you), and have been motivated to push harder and harder on my manuscript. They've also been great confidence builders for me.

Great post, thanks! And thanks for being a Keeper of the blogfest list.

~Olivia

Raquel Byrnes said...

Copy away...the more the merrier. Its always great to have new input and advice.

arlee bird said...

I'll have to check some of these out. I'm planning to do some changes to my blog and this is one direction I've been contemplating.

Lee
Tossing It Out

L'Aussie said...

I have been a great fan of blogfests too, but along with the positives there are negatives which have been worrying me.

The time involved is huge - and it is very annoying how many people join then never put anything up. don't they realise how much time is involved in clicking on their names, then trying to find it???

Being from Oz the time difference is a problem, so sometimes I'm checking more than once due to the time zones. Time waster...

Most of the comments are just kind. Not too much critiquing goes on. I for one would like honest comments.

Many of the posts are far too long. We don't have time to read huge entries. I think the word limit should be less.

This is not a rant, just some of the problems with blogfests. I'm sure everyone who's been in a few would feel the same.

All that said, I've found it useful to be putting up bits and pieces of my WIPs and meeting other like-minded lovelies..:)

...and one blogfest I entered, the host was a no show...