Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Situational Blindness or a Dufus?



Heading into the weeks before Valentine's Day, I am working on the romantic arc in my WIP only to get stuck before the sparks even begin to smolder.

Its always difficult, in the midst of tumult, to quiet your heart and mind long enough to see what is right in front of you. That sort of situational blindness has happened to me before in real life and I can totally understand how it can happen in the extreme situations of a fantasy novel.

The problem is...

Writing it in such a way that the heroine or hero do not appear to be clueless dufuses (yes, thats a word) that frustrate the reader with their obliviousness.

I remember reading a book and the love interest kept doing obvious things to help her in a dangerous situation and the heroine kept wondering why...like seriously?

I also don't want to be so subtle that the reader is frustrated with the hero for not making his feelings clear enough.

Blerg!  So, as I overanalyze and obsess over every piece of dialogue and cryptic behavior I write...

I leave the question with you. What is your favorite instance of someone finally realizing the one they needed was in front of them the whole time?

Until next time...Go Write!

+Raquel Byrnes 




2 comments:

dolorah said...

Hmm, I can't recall a specific novel or movie, but I know that I've enjoyed the situational blindness concept when it is well written. I suppose you could say that about everything.

Oh, I have one, maybe not your viewing style though. In The Walking Dead series there is a love relationship between two of the main characters - Daryl and Carol - but neither is aware of the growing attachment. Well, Carol has made her feelings known in a joking way, but I still do not think she realizes she is serious. The relationship has been building between them since season two (we're in season 5 I believe) and I'm sure within this or the next season the issue will be resolved. Has to be; the potential is just killing me, and I'm not alone in my viewer agony.

I am not a "romance" reader, but I do enjoy a well crafted romance in the story. So if you build the relationship around something mutually - tangible? - it will work for the viewer to know the characters belong in a relationship, but the characters do not seem like dufuses because they are more focused on resolving an "issue" and don't realize how close they have become. The final get-together is usually an accident - like Fate or Venus giving them a dramatic shove.

Hope you conquer this obstacle Raquel. It was good to see you online :)

Raquel Byrnes said...

Oh Donna,
As always your advice is spot on. I am a huge fan of that series and the Dale/Carol example is on point for sure. I guess the problem that arises is condensing relationship into a timeline that both fits your story and retains believability. Such fun to discuss with you! :)