Friday, January 27, 2012

Book Birthday - Ruby Dawn Releases Today!


Today is the official release day for the second book in my Shades of Hope series! Ruby Dawn is a story very close to my heart and I 'm so excited that it comes out today!


I had such a great time last year on the Purple Knot Book Tour and I can't wait to get out there and hang out with fellow lovers of romance. I made some great friends during that time and it was such a blessing to meet you all.


I will be out and about in a little bit and will share the details as soon as I can.


For now, I'd love to share a blurb and excerpt...



Ruby Dawn, Book Two - Shades of Hope series

Dr. Ruby McKinney understands the plight of runaways in her city; she used to be one of them. Tom, Ruby’s friend and protector in juvenile detention, disappeared after a tragedy. Now a DEA agent, his investigation pulls Ruby back into his life and back into danger. Will they survive long enough to take their second chance at love?

A Painful Past.
A former street kid, Ruby now reaches out to runaways through her medical clinic in the worst part of the city, but her escalating battle with a gang leader puts that in jeopardy.

 A Love Returns.
Cavalier, a risk-taker, charming… Ruby’s first love is now on the right side of the law and the center of a dangerous DEA sting involving her clinic.  Tom’s disappearance ten years ago broke her heart and rattled her faith. As their romance relights, memories of what it costs to love him flood her with fear.

A Desperate Plan.
Ruby’s battle with the gang ignites a firestorm of danger, and a pattern of lies from within her own camp emerges. With Tom’s life in the balance and her world cast in shadows, can Ruby trust God as she once did…or has she strayed too far, for too long to ever return?  

Excerpt:
“Shhh,” Tom whispered. He took my hand in his and kissed my palm sending a ripple through me. “Its okay, I know what you meant, Ruby. And you’re right about what you said the other night too,” he breathed and leaned closer.
Barely able to think, I stood frozen by his nearness. “What I said?”
He smiled, so close now that I could feel his lips move. “You said that I don’t know you anymore. That I need to get to know you all over again.”
“I’m pretty sure that’s not what I said,” I breathed.
Tom’s hand slipped to my face, cupping my cheek in his palm. He ran his thumb over my bottom lip and it sent heat thrumming through me. I gripped his sleeves, my fingers digging into the material.
A wayward warning flittered somewhere in the back of my brain, but I closed my eyes instead of moving.
Tom brushed his lips against mine, barely touching, his breath soft.
Up front, Lilah shouted. “This place is a wreck!”
Startled, I pulled away from Tom. Lilah had either rotten or impeccable timing. I hadn’t decided which just yet. “I – I’m back here,” I shouted back. “I’ll be right out.”
Tom groaned and let go of me. He looked up at the outer door with frustration. I followed his gaze to Lilah rooting through the debris making enough noise for three people.
Reluctantly, I turned from Tom and walked back down the hall to the front lobby. “It looks worse than it is, Lilah.”
“What are you talking about? This place is jacked-up!”
She spun slowly around with her arms out at her sides. Behind me, I heard the rear door swing shut and turned to look for Tom. My heart sank. He was gone.