Monday, July 12, 2010

A Juicy Sample...Chapter?

I went to the farmer's market today. Tented tables lined the blazing asphalt. Guys in straw hats offered samples of succulent summer fruit cut with pocket knives right in their hands.  They talked about their groves and gardens. Where they find the best fertilizer and how they know it's ready to harvest.

One guy sold the most amazing salsa made out of tomatillos and packaged in the town he grows them. I had a taste, thought it awesome, and bought a jar.  Never would have pulled it off a grocery shelf...I really don't fancy salsa all that much. But he seemed so proud and had a sample right there, so I gave it a whirl and BOOM! I was sold.

Why can't writers have these types of gatherings?  Wouldn't it be great if we could have a set gathering place, put out our wares, and talk face to face with agents as they meaner by?  I'm not talking about writer's conferences...those are for writers.  We flock to them, scramble for a time slot with an agent, and babble through a 60 second pitch...one of many they've already sat through.  We're nervous, they're tired, and the time is rushed.

No, I'm talking about proud writers showing off great selections of our finest work and shooting the breeze with the casual confidence of the nectarine dude - I bought two pounds. I guess the closest we come to that is our blogs. We fine tune, color tweak, and background change to help pass the days as we wait for our queries or proposals to render results.

If only a pretty table cloth, a juicy slice of a great story, and the twinkling smile of the one who wrote it were the way we got our novels sold.  Like the tomatillo sauce guy says..."I guarantee, if you try it, you'll love it."

10 comments:

sarahjayne smythe said...

Great post. If only. :) And I also love farmers markets. I miss them not living in a city.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like that idea, even though I'm not an outgoing person.

Laura Marcella said...

What a neat idea! That would be pretty cool. But I guess you're right about our blogs being like those type of gatherings. Face-to-face would be so much awesomer, though!

Nicole Murray said...

Perfect analogy. ;-D I can add no more.

Erin Kane Spock said...

I want some nectarines. Two pounds? Dude. That's a lot of nectarines.
The only bummer is there would be hundreds (or thousands?) of stalls for the enthusiastic authors ready to share their wares, and there would only be a handful of agents and publishers walking through.
But, I think the authors would have a great time sampling each other's goods.

Janet Johnson said...

Mmmm . . . the right salsa can be amazing!

I guess our blogs are kindof like that. Hmmm . . . maybe I better go do some polishing. :)

Eric W. Trant said...

It's almost like your blog.

Because nobody buys your stuff on a blog! They read it, eat your samples, and then move along.

- Eric

Olivia J. Herrell said...

I love farmers markets. Reading your post gave me a California-ache. (As opposed to the belly-ache I got the other day from eating a pound of Ranier cherries from .) And I love your post. So true...

~Olivia

Raquel Byrnes said...

Sarah - Farmer's markets are awesome and I can support local farmers.

Alex - Yah, fear of public speaking...I hear ya.

Laura - Awesomer indeed.

Nicole - Well said.

Erin - Quit interjecting reality, Missy...and two lbs. vs. 6 kids is nothin'.

Janet - Salsa, YES! Go polish and tweak...you'll feel better.

Eric - Yes, unfortunately I do believe thats true.

Olivia - you should visit California now while the weather is awesome!

Stephen Tremp said...

We have a number of farmer's markets we visit. Some are chains and some set up shop on the weekends at the swap meets and in parking lots of strip malls.

And I think of the old commercial, "Try it, You'll like it." I think it was Alka Seltzer.

Stephen Tremp