Sunday, March 18, 2018

Facebook Groups: An Author's Bread and Butter



I cannot emphasize to you how much connection with other authors and readers on a daily basis truly helps to keep me motivated. From group deadlines, critique circles, conference help, or just a bit of silliness, joining a group that you feel comfortable with is a key part of staying engaged with both your readers and the industry.

I am a part of the Knights of the SciFi Roundtable and though we are both science fiction and fantasy, there is a lot of crossover in terms of advice and world building. I find that joining a group that is specific to your genre really helps to make connections.

I've been able to join co-op giveaways and contests where I learned so much. A fellow Roundtable Knight walked me through setting up a landing page and newsletter on MailChimp...on her own time...over a couple of days.  Talk about really helping out a fellow word-slinger!

Not to mention anthologies and conference booth opportunities. But it also helps you to keep your finger on the pulse of what is going on in the publishing world

This month, I have joined a multi-author giveaway. SciFi Roundtable partnered with Art of the Arcane to put together an unprecedented event with so many authors and contests and giveaways.  I am so excited to see how it turns out as it is my first one of this magnitude.

But more than the technical and business of writing, groups often provide something no one else can. Fellow authors can understand your struggles, your weird sense of humor, and often your doubt like no one else is able.

The Write Life posted a wonderful list of 20 Facebook Groups for Writers You Don't Want to Miss and let me tell you, it is awesome. From motivation to calls for submissions, these groups truly tether an author to the publishing world via a supportive community.

What types of things have you found that truly help your writing journey?  Do you have any suggestions for all of us?