Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Doh! IWSG



Welcome to another installment of the Insecure Writer's Support Group conceived by illustrious Ninja Captain, Alex J. CavanaughOur Twitter hashtag is #IWSG 

Also, for the IWSG members, don't forget about the Anthology Contest -- Open now until November 1st 2015.

So this month finds me grappling with the reality that writing a synopsis for book three before even writing book one was a MAJOR waste of time.  *sigh*

Yes, it was required as part of the submission process. And I knew going into writing the synopses for the trilogy that I would most likely go off script...but wow!  The end of book two sort of--happened. I love it compared to what I had originally planned, but now the beginning of the third book doesn't make sense.

Like...at all. *rolls eyes at self*

So now I have to go back and strip down my plot blocks to what I know I can keep. The think is I don't want to make the same mistake again and overthink it.

Anyway, this is a new one for me and could really use some help from you guys. How do you all deal with a book that kind of goes its own way on you?

+Raquel Byrnes








10 comments:

C.D. Gallant-King said...

In the past I've just let my book do what it wants to do, but in editing my current work in progress I've realized that it was not the best idea. It's taking way more work to polish it and bring it back around to something tight and sensical.

I'm currently outlining the next book in great detail, hoping to prevent this from happening again, but I'm afraid the story might end up being boring and forced. I'll let you know what happens.

IWSG October

Susan Gourley/Kelley said...

That happens to me all the time. I usually discovered more depth to the internal conflicts I saddle my characters with as I write that first draft. You'll figure it out though I can understand the challenge.

Susan Says

Rachna Chhabria said...

It happens to me all the time. Many of us writers deviate from the synopsis.

Stephsco said...

I am not a conventional plotter, but what's been working for me most is to plan out the character arcs and then plot around that. I have not had to write a synopsis before writing, so no help there. But I found that knowing where my character begins and ends, their flaw or weakness, their deepest desire, and their crisis moment, all helps in crafting the plot as I write. I do this character brainstorming for supporting characters too. Giving them motivation helps to not create one dimensional characters, and to make sure side plots feed into the larger one.

None of this is easy though.

Here's my October IWSG Post

Jemima Pett said...

I enjoy what the characters do and I think it makes my plot much better. It's the getting them back to the script that takes the hard work and invents the plot twists, and I reckon if you work at it, you'll find your original synopsis is much improved by the reality :) Good luck!

Stephanie Faris said...

I'm not much of a planner myself. I tend to just start writing and see what happens! I always have to write three chapters and a synopsis to see if my publisher wants to buy a manuscript and it's SO tough to stick to that synopsis once I get started!

Stephanie Faris
IWSG Co-Host
http://stephie5741.blogspot.com

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I can't imagine having to pitch a third when I've not finished the first.
Whatever way it's going, let it. Then re-pitch a new synopsis. If the first two books do well, the publisher won't really care.

authorcgcoppola.com said...

I'm a panster, so that's usually how it happens. I find that my characters tend to act in ways I don't predict and because of that, I leave it up to them to tell the story, not me. I say go with the flow. Let go of the reigns a bit and see what happens. Works for me, at least. Good luck!!

dolorah said...

My first drafts are pretty much just a long plotting session with some hopeful details. I wrote a trilogy, but it did not start out as a trilogy. I was glad the first book did not get an agent/publisher prior to starting the third, as I had to add things and rearrange to fit my characters plots. Eek, couldn't imagine writing a synopsis for something not even started yet.

Good luck with all the editing.

Cherie Reich said...

I think publishers understand that a book might deviate from the synopsis, especially if you have to give one for three books and only have the first one written at the time of submissions. Go with what works best for the story, not necessarily what you wrote in the synopsis.