Monday, August 26, 2013

Every wrenching, staggering, soul stretching word.


So I've been having a bit of a problem. The thing is...I never really believed in writer's block until a few weeks ago. Never had any issues aside from needing MORE TIME.

A fellow author once told me over a decade ago that there is no such thing as writer's block, just wrong turns.  I believed that. Whenever I got stuck before I simply backtracked to where things started to get hard.

I've tried that. I went back chapter by chapter to see where plot points became difficult to maneuver...where dialogue turned tricky, where I went awry with the motivation...

You know what I discovered?

Nothing. Nada. Zinch. 

This novel has ALWAYS been difficult. I've constantly struggled to know and embrace and make my own this amazing alternate history genre.

Its a challenge for sure. I think I can actually feel my dendrites sparking as I will myself into this strange world.

So now I will stop looking for a starting over place. I will stop staring wistfully at my notes for easy answers. I will buckle down and just...write.  Every wrenching, staggering, soul stretching word.

Wish me luck!