Sunday, January 13, 2013

Richter Zombies...


It started out innocently enough with a funny forward from a friend about the 'Zombie Apocalypse' blog she likes. The post was on 'Go Bags' or 'Bug Out Bags' intended to keep you safe, fed, hydrated, and protected for 72 hours until you could find shelter or hook up with a roving band of zombie killers.

I chuckled, totally thinking it was a pretty detailed set up...matches, batteries for the flashlight, glowsticks for in a pinch. The pack had 'hot hands' packs and some firestarter stuff, some water and purification things...

I gotta admit. I didn't know what half the stuff was. So since I'm supposed to be working on my next project and since I have not decided what that is I was just kind of surfing the zombie preparedness sights for fun.

In an effort to encourage citizens to prepare for real disasters, the CDC, law enforcement, and other sites have done tongue-in-cheek 'Zombie Education' programs.  They're actually pretty  helpful...

How Does She Blog
Turns out all of the things in this 'Zombie Go Bag' or whatever, is actually recommended for use in emergency preparedness kits in my own state of California.  

Earthquake safety. You'd think I'd be up on it, but short of diving underneath desks, not standing next to plate glass windows, and our 'meet at the street' drill...

I got nothing. Seriously.  Zilch is going on in the "what if our house crumbles scenario" that is an actual, real, and probable situation.  What!?

So now I'm totally into this survival stuff. I'm starting out with making the 'Go Bags' for each one of my family members.  That is no small feat, mind you. My husband and I have 6...yes, SIX children.  That's 8 packs I have to buy, stock, and store.

I've also decided, since I just realized that FEMA suggests not a 3 day supply of food and water for you family in the event of a 5.0 earthquake or higher, but a 10-14 day supply...I was totally launched into a panic.

I thought if we had a major quake, we'd have help at least by the third day on the OUTSIDE. Now it seems in the wake of hurricane and other disasters the three day rescue timeline is turning out to be way too conservative.

Being Vegan, my family and I eat primarily fresh fruit and vegetables along with grains, beans, etc.  Not really a lot of outdoor/survival recipes for that kind of diet. I've decided to try and modify our exisitng stew and hearty soup recipes to be made via a dutch oven.

Ready Meals
A mom blogs about this kind of stuff and suggests just bagging some familiar dinners and keeping them in a safe place...a tub in the garage, etc. One hardy meal a day and some water will get you through.

I've had to alter recipes before to make them Vegan friendly...camping recipes were a challenge. Why does everyone need to eat so much bacon when camping???  

Anyway, I can do this.  I have to do this. I hope I never have to use the supplies. EVER.

Anyway, I'm hoping this foray into investigation will totally help me as a writer.  I can research like nobody's business. I love learning about new things and it always sparks some sort of idea for a story.

I've released the Kraken -- my manic writer alter-ego...

I'll keep you posted. :)