|Photograph by Ktylerconk|
The one I'm toying with right now has gypsies and carnivals in it so I got to research a lot about the swindle of the fortune teller, the card trick guy, all the impossible to win booth games and...FIRE BREATHING! Woo Hoo!
Unfortunately, due to my propensity toward being a klutz, my husband has rejected the idea of 'real world' research and asked me not to spit fire at our drapes. He's still reeling from the whole 9mm 'incident' but, whatever.
So pulled out my trusty book, The Daredevil's Manual just to see if they had, in fact, a chapter on fire breathing. They did. So the author, Ben Ikenson, has made a list of essential equipment and a "Pre-Incendiary" checklist that I will share with you.
- The Fuel - recommendations range, but a mixture of flammable liquids, both household and industrial, have been suggested. I will not give them here, because you shouldn't actually try this. In fact, I read that some of the liquids are so toxic that serious performers actually get their livers checked twice a year.
- The equipment - You need as stated before, a flammable liquid, a lighted torch, and a wet towel placed over your arm (in case you catch on fire).
I love this last bit...in case you, you know, burst into flames...have a wipey on hand. Right. That sounds safe.
- Put the fuel in your mouth, but don't swallow, and tip your head back at a 45 degree angle.
- Hold the torch about 3 to 6 inches from your mouth.
- Purse your lips as tight as possible and blow a fine mist of fuel over the top of the torch. The liquid will catch fire as it comes in contact with the flame. Let out short bursts for individual fire balls or expel all the liquid at once for the classic, "Dragon's Kiss" flame explosion - get ready to wow the crowd with a spectacle of fire!
Uh, okay. So I've memorized the steps. Now I have to weave them into a scene that is tense, fascinating, and doesn't reek of the insanity that the real world version does. Piece of cake.
And finally, for those of you who are ignoring my warnings that this only for professional crazy people, and are still tempted to try this at home...DON'T!
I have included a video of a dumb New Zealand teen nearly setting himself on fire while attempting to, "Try It At Home." Don't worry, he didn't flare up...he just scared himself to death.
Until next time...Go Write!
Photograph by AlishaV.