Friday, October 22, 2010

I Thought I Was Being Punked

Photograph by mcfarlandmo

 So yesterday was both great and not great. I got a request for some chapters -- great! 

My computer fritzed out and typed like one...letter...at...a...time.

NOT Great. It took me four hours to complete my edits on four chapters and send them to the person who needed them.

Yikes!

Needless to say I was an absolute basket case when my hubby returned home. He'd been trying to get me to do a total system recovery on my five-year-old laptop. Yes, they made laptops back then. 

I'd been resisting because I also keep all of our pictures and homeschool records on my laptop. The family computer is for games and downloading junk that will freeze it and we just do restore points and move on with life. 

But my computer has all the books I've written, the proposals, the research...everything.

Now, I've had Mozy for months now. For those who don't know, its an offsite data storage company. So my computer is backed up regularly.  Also I've saved stuff on a pen drive and emailed copies of stuff to myself. 

But unless you've met me and see first hand what a distrustful and cynical, "my glass is probably poisoned" type of techno-phobe I am...then you won't understand how after all of those precautions, I was still wracked with nerves as my husband wiped the computer back to factory settings.

Thirteen gigs gone...in minutes.  Ahhh!

So now I'm downloading everything from Mozy. Its called a Web Recovery and I only freaked out on the Help-Line Chat Dude once! Progress, people...this is what it looks like. 

I have twenty-eight dowload files to load and they each take twenty minutes to dowload. I'm gonna be busy for a few days. Also, they're zipped so I have to extract them all. I don't know what made it and what is floating in cyber la-la land forever out of my reach.  I'll keep you posted.

Anyway, I'm working off of the family computer for now. I'm going to use this writing down time to research oil derricks, tensile strength, and sand boiling under levees. If you don't hear from me soon the FBI probably took me in the middle of the night. 

Until next time...Go Write!

11 comments:

Clarissa Draper said...

Ugh, that's horrible. I hate updates and upgrades because I'm always freaked out about losing stuff. Thank goodness you have it saved.

CD

Ann Best said...

Oh my gosh. What a horror! I've lost some things, but nothing this dramatic. I'm very old-fashioned about printing hard copies. And I save everything on a san disk, hoping if something this bad does happen, I won't lose what I really need!

How exciting, though, that you got a request for some chapters!!!

And do make progress with your research while you're waiting!! FBI, be gone!!!
Ann

Roland D. Yeomans said...

That is a true Halloween horror tale. Brrrrr!

But I am wishing you the best of luck for those chapters requested.

I'm even knocking on wood. Thunk. Thunk. On my head, of course. Roland

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You'll get them all back! Do I dare suggest an external hard drive as well?

Raquel Byrnes said...

Clarissa - Yes. Saved. We'll see about that. 0_o

Ann - The chapter request was a good thing. You're right. I shall focus on the positive.

Roland - You're so funny. A true tale of writerly horror. Bwa ha ha!

Alex - I never thought of that! I need one...totally need one! (My husband thanks you for helping me spend more money.) =)

Hart Johnson said...

Raquel, I'm so sorry! I've been there, sister, only seriously less backed up than you are--and you have my sympathy! Good luck with the reload--hope it goes smoothly!

Eric W. Trant said...

Sorry about the crash! I back up everything to a thumb drive and to a second storage drive. My desktop crashed last year. I lost some of my work stuff, including invoicing, so I had to discount work I did that I couldn't bill out.

So I lost money, literally, owing to that crash.

Sucks.

If you're researching oil rigs and derricks and stuff, lemme know. I'm a chemical engineer, and I work in the oil field doing directional drilling software. I can read over your stuff and let you know if it makes sense, and maybe help you with rig-jargon.

Or if you have general questions about rig-workings, I can help.

My email works.

- Eric

Erin Kane Spock said...

Oh Raquel. Sit down. Here, have your beverage of choice. Can I get you anything else. A cold compress for your head and a hot bricks for your feet? Wait, let me put on some Enya and Yanni and light some incense. There. Better?
Oh man. My heart goes out to you.
And I am totally backing up everything as we speak!

Janet Johnson said...

Ah, man. I'm cringing for you. Good luck! Thank goodness for Mozy.

Brenda Drake said...

Hi, came by to judge the Never-ending Scene Blogfest(cliffhanger) but your entry wasn't posted. We'll stop by once more later to see if you posted. :D

Donna Hole said...

Poor baby.

Sorry I laughed. (LOL) I hate computers.

......dhole